Tuesday, June 23, 2009

IMDb Re-Reviews Part 1: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Okay, here's the dealio! I was looking over my IMDb account at reviews I have wrote. Many of them are rather old and this was when I wanted to become a movie reviewer. I am SO glad that I changed my ambition lol. Some of these reviews are rather badly written. So, I am going to re-watch the movies/TV shows as I go and see if any of them were justified. There were many more reviews on my MySpace blog, but that was cancelled because I posted a youtube vid that got taken down (it wasnt even my vid!! lol).

So, first we have Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.



Review: *May Contain Spoilers*

Well, first thing this morning I was at Parrs Wood cinema in Didsbury to see Harry Potter 5!!! I'd heard good things about it but I wanted to see it for myself.

Anyway, the opening... which is absolutely magnificent in the book is even more so in the film itself. the feeling of isolation is ripe with every frame... every bit of diegetic sound... it was amazing and even better...DUDLEY'S A CHAV!!!! lol. The Dementor attack was quite breathtaking and the cinematography made me feel like I was Cillian Murphy in 28 Days Later.

Harry's relationship with Cho wasn't very... erm...well I can't think of the word but it was really bare. However, Harry and Sirius was handled much better than in the book. Daniel Radcliffe's acting is actually starting to improve, which is good considering that after everything Harry has been through, he'll need a proper cry in film 7 (which btw I haven't read yet...). His pain is portrayed magnificently (particularly in the scenes where Sirius dies and his Occlumency lessons) - both through his dreams AND his acting (which technically speaking is also a comby of really great editing and blah blah blah...).

With Harry no longer having the emotional sense of a carrot, it leaves more room for the supporting characters to grow i.e Neville Longbottom whose parents were tortured into madness by Bellatrix Lestrange (played brilliantly by Helena Bonham Carter). Neville, of course, is starting to shine... this is because in the book, the prophecy could have applied to him as well as Harry, but the fact he was a pureblood made Harry the more likely option.

I wasn't too keen on Luna Lovegood. I always imagined her to be a quite noisy, weird person; in this, she is a very QUIET, weird person. Umbridge's character is more hateful in the film than the book which I could never imagined because I REALLY DID hate her; and thats all thanks to Imelda Staunton, who now seems to be popping up everywhere in British cinema.

Overall, this film was more about setting up the next 2 films, which it does brilliantly, however, saying that, I do prefer Goblet of Fire (I might have to see it 1 more time to be sure lol). Yates has proved to be a really good asset to the franchise and he can hopefully pull off the same stunt with Half-Blood Prince.


My thoughts now:

I think its fair to say that since July 2007 I have expanded my movie knowledge. I think the only reason I was disappointed with this movie was because Empire Magazine rated it . Empire always has changed star ratings in hindsight. eg they changed Attack of the Clones from 5 (which is classic) to 3 (and rightly so!!). They also changed the ratings of the first 3 HP movies. I believe this was because, no matter how wonder and magical the first 2 were when they came out, neither compared to the 3rd, 4th and 5th. The 3rd actually went higher from a 3 to 4. So when they rated it 4 I thought "wow, it must be great! Giving it 4 Stars just like that *clicks fingers* must mean it is on par with the 3rd movie"

And it was because of this that I left the cinema feeling a little empty. But rewatching the movie again recently, I realized why I felt this; and it wasnt because of the movie, it was ME. I wasn't used to the change in style that Yates decided with the movie such as the montages of newspaper articles and the pictures. But now I am finding the movie much more enjoyable and finding the technique that Yates uses very original and fresh and that is very important for a franchise!! Unlike most, I like how each director of the HP films brings their own style to the mix instead of sticking to the same formula which could otherwise make it terrible (which is why the first Star Wars trilogy was awesome and the second... not so much!!).

Overall, I think I was rather harsh on some points. Not just Radcliffe, but all the child actors have really come into their own in terms of acting and with the characters. I am also warming to Luna a bit more (might have something to do with the fact that I re-read the book recently) and I really cannot wait until Harry Potter 6!!