Monday, October 26, 2009

Blast from the Past - The Secret World of Alex Mack



In the first part of my (hopefully) weekly look into my childhood I will be looking at a programme that I hardly ever missed during my years as on obsessive Nickleodeon watcher.


It starts off a bit clich├ęd to be honest. Its about a "normal" kid fed up with her mundane life (played by 10 Things I Hate about You's Larisa Oleynik). Then on her way home from school, there is an accident, she gets drenched in a chemical GC-161 (yup kinda sad I still know the name of it!!) and then all storylines then on forward focus on her being a teenager as well as being unique, and avoiding being caught by the chemical plant who want to turn her into an experiment because of the amount of the chemical she consumed.


And there is a very good reason for that.


The chemical she came into contact with had some... side effects: to move objects telekinetically, shoot electric zaps through her fingertips, morph into a puddle of liquid, and glow when she gets nervous.


Watching this opening brings back fabulous memories of me actually wanting to be Alex. And as far as I can tell, most of the episodes are on youtube. I may be busy in the coming days...





Episodes I fondly remember in the depths of my memories include a "what if...?" type episode in which Alex wasnt in the accident... but her mother was. Switching bodies with her mother after accidentally morphing together. And, of course, the last 2 episodes in which she is finally exposed.


Was it the best made series on Nickelodeon? No, but it was definitely better acted than most. And the theme tune (as seen above) is brilliantly addictive. Larisa Oleynik, who was quite young to have such a series to lead actually carries it really well and we see her mature, both in character and in acting ability. Villains have definately come better in most series'. but Danielle Atron and her Chief of Security Vince, definately do a good job of it.


It lasted only 4 seasons, which is a decent run of any kids show, especially on cable television! In the very last episode, she finally has chance at a normal life again after her father makes an antidote, but they cleverly never show her taking it, yet looking very happy about something. It is the perfect ending to a very fun series. It was always a show that I constantly checked the TV guide to see when it was on (because others like Keenan and Kel and Sabrina the Teenage Witch were always on) and its good to rewatch and reminisce 


Oh, and on a final note, I just found out that Jessica Alba was in a a few episodes as a minor character. I haven't had a chance to check this out yet but thought it was rather cool. :D