Monday, November 23, 2009

Films of 2009 - Star Trek

In the first part of my "Review of the Year", I am going to look at Star Trek. Now, many people close to me will find it hard to believe that it took me until May to see a movie at the flicks this year. Well, student financing and cinema prices are a very bad match. I ate less for 2 weeks just so that I could fit Star Trek into the budget because there was no way in hell I was not going to see it! I know a lot of people complain about watching films in a full cinema, but with this, it was a full cinema of geeky fanboy students. I loved it!!

Previous experiences of Star Trek at the flicks have been a bit bad for me. The only ones I was legally allowed to see when growing up were Insurrection and Nemesis; both good films, just not great Star Trek films if you get my drift (although I really do hold Insurrection to much higher esteem than many many others) so I was looking forward to this movie. The trailer gave me goosebumps everytime I watched it, and it still does today (although I do have the window open lol).

The opening sequence gave me the chills. It was beautifully shot (well, its CGI innit!! But amazing angles!). JJ Abrams was nobody's first choice to direct (well, the fans anyway) because all he had done before that was MI:3 (not a complete disaster; better than MI2, not as good as the original) so he had the blockbuster experience. And I have to say that he pulled it off really well. Yes, there are flaws, and there are plot holes the size of my gob, but it was still a really fun ride.


As I have said on various sites, I was not big on TOS, but I had seen the movies  so I knew enough to care about how the characters are handled. Each actor did what is supposed to be done in a re-do = keeping enough mannerisms of the original actors without copying, yet still making the role their own and each member of the cast did that beautifully. It is obvious the Zachary Quinto was born to play Spock, and Chris Pine is destined for great things. When he sat in the chair with the Shatner-swagger, there is no doubt that he is Kirk Simon Pegg was an odd choice for Scotty; yet genius at the same time!!

I really do hope that they make a new movie. What separates Star Trek from other franchises is that most people groan when they hear a sequel is going to be made. But with Star Trek, you expect it. This was never just going to be just the one movie. And I do hope the Klingons come into it. Hopefully this new alternate timeline leaves room for different storylines with the Federation's relationship with the Romulans or the Klingons and what not.

I am ashamed to say, that there are various films over the years that I have seen a few times at the flicks (Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - 3 times; Hairspray - 4 times; Harry Potter 3 - 3 times) and if I had the money, I would have seen this so many more times because I loved the cinema experience that I had been lacking since the previous September when I saw RocknRolla (loved it!). But it is on my christmas list; And I reckon this age of re-imagining and what-not has not always been bad; this is prove that some good can come out of it.