Tuesday, December 01, 2009

A Shameless Plug - Lincoln Christmas Market


When I first announced to my family that I had my heart set on going to the University of Lincoln to get my degree, most of my relatives said "oh the Christmas Market there is absolutely amazing". I didn't think much of this if course since I just thought they were passing and decided to go. But when the first weekend of December came around in 2008, I was shocked by the impact it had; people from all over the world came to visit this market, not just for the amazing food, beer and exercise, but for the true festive experience. Here are some facts:




  1. Number of visitors - 250,000.
  2. Meters of temporary flooring - 3,190 metres (over two miles!!).
  3. Number of local stalls - 115 
  4. Number of stalls overall - Over 300.
  5. Number of coaches visiting the 2004 event - 799.
  6. The number of cars using the Park and Ride service - 9436.
  7. Number of electric sockets installed especially - 498.
  8. Hours taken to install all the electrics - 830.
  9. The number of Reindeer' on the Santa's Express ride - 8.
  10. Number of days spent organising - 365!!! (a whole year).
  11. It's the 25th Christmas Market in 2006, which is a huge achievement.
  12. The Lincoln Christmas Market began in 1982 with just 14 stalls.
  13. About 30,000 leaflets are distributed to let people  know about the market.
  14. The market generates around £10 million for the local economy.
  15. It is one of the biggest of its kind in Europe.
  16. There will be several new stores this year.
  17. The Lincoln Christmas Market takes its inspiration from its German twin-town of Neustadt an der Weinstrasse.

I can assure you that none of these facts are over-exaggerated. In fact, if anything, they're probably a bit low because these statistics are 5 years old. The Market is so popular, that you have to walk in a one-way system around the Castle grounds and back to the front of the Cathedral. And it is also quite difficult to get to. This is because to get there in the first place, you have to walk up a road called "Steep Hill" (which I assurse you, is very appropriately named! And walking down it with a lot of heavy market shopping (which I, very stupidly, did last year) is just as, if not more, of a challenge. And getting to Lincoln itself is difficult on the train, because it literally is in the middle of nowhere! So the council get extra trains to bring the tourists in because those particular trains only have the 2 blood carriages!!!! (I do wish they'd do that for students because its very difficult to stand with a really big suitcase!)


Last year I went absolutely wild and bought some amazing things including lots of beer (3 different breweries were there, 3!!!), german biscuits, different types of odd cheeses, toys for my baby sister (which she loved!!). 


It is truly an amazing experience. And in the wake of this weekend's market, in which my family will be visiting me (which is a treat in itself, haven't seen them for months!) and go to the market, I thought I'd plug it for everyone else!! So if anyone just happens to be near Lincoln during the first weekend of december, you must go!!!


I have said my piece!