Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Wrestling - A Newcomer's View


Before I came to University, I had no interest in wrestling whatsoever. And, throughout my first year it was the same; it wasn't that I had dismissed it, it was because I had never taken the time to sit down and watch a full length show.

And my flatmate, who moved in in September, is proper into it!!! She watches Monday Night Raw at 2am and Friday Night Smackdown at 10pm every week! Slowly but surely I was being dragged into the so-called "dramas" and what-not. I knew it was not real, but a scripted show, which made it no different than Hollyoaks really except it has a MASSIVE studio audience! As I learnt the rules and learnt the people, I slowly became addicted.

Then my flatmate, Becky, my best friend, Chloe, and her friend from home, Dan (another avid wrestling fan), decided to watch Hell In A Cell, a SBO event at the local pub on campus. We have now made it a tradition to go to that pub and sit at the same table every time there is a match on SBO (we have already seen Bragging Rights and Survivor Series; next it will be TLC in 2 weeks!).



Yes its cheesy at times and yes there are times when you think "surely hitting him there would be better" or "just get up you bastard and tag each other already" but I think that is the mark of a fan, not an obbsessive one mind; but then again I do have a Randy Orton desktop background replacing my Starbase 66 one and I even have my 2010 WWE calender already. So what? lol. I am enjoying it a lot more than I ever thought I would and it was all thanks to Dan who said "you know, its not that different from any other show. Its scripted and what-not. You just have to go along with it", an it was relatively easy to do so after that.

Nuff said :-)