Friday, January 15, 2010

Not Always Right: Economy Class Is Now In Session





I was listening to an episode of Richard and Allison's Super Happy Fun Time (if you don't listen to it, slap yourself on the arse and get yourself down to Simply Syndicated) that I downloaded this week. I was present, in a sense, when it was live but it was background noise for me since I was doing other things at the same time. Then the conversation came to websites of merit. One of the ones mentioned was "Not Always Right!" which is a glorious collection of stupid things that customers have said and/or done. I have been making my way slowly through them and some of the things that people say are just amazing.

In the last few days I have been getting new stories on my Google Reader and it always perks me up! If you are ever in a bad mood or just need cheering up because a certain Premiership football team lost (and I assure you I will not be needing this website on Tuesday! haha!) it will bring that small ray of sunshine on such a gloomy day.

To get you started, here is one of my favourites so far. But don't just stop here. Go to the website and read more. I guarentee you it is one of the best things on the whole of the internet! (I know, bold statement! But I am easily pleased :P)

(Halfway into a three hour and forty-five minute flight, a well-dressed and seemingly educated passenger rings her call button. She is frantic.)


Me: “Hi, how can I help you?”

Passenger: “I’m going to miss my connecting flight!”

Me: “No, we’re on time. All connections will be made.”

Passenger: “No! I’m going to miss my connection!”

Me: “All reservations are made so as to give you plenty of time to make your connecting flights, even if we’re a little late. But we’re scheduled to arrive on time today.”

Passenger: “Well, if we arrive on time, then I will miss my connection!”

Me: “May I see your ticket, please?”

Passenger: “I. Don’t. Think. You. Understand! It is a three-hour and 45-minute flight. So if we left Philadelphia at 9, then we won’t get into Denver until 12:45. MY flight leaves at noon. SO YOU SEE, I AM GOING TO MISS MY FLIGHT!”

Me: “Oh, oh…no…Denver is on Mountain Standard Time. We arrive 10:45.”

Passenger: “10:45?! How is that possible? Do you even know what you’re talking about?!”

Me: “Philadelphia is on Eastern Standard Time.”

Passenger: *blank stare*


Me: “Philly and Denver are in different time zones. There’s a two-hour time difference.”

Passenger: *blank stare*


(I try to explain to this 40-something woman the concept of time zones. When that doesn’t work, I explain that it’s not the same time everywhere in the world at the exact moment of every day. She doesn’t get it until I explain that that is why we have night and day.)


Passenger: “Oh. Whew. Thank you!”