Friday, February 12, 2010

Empire Awards - Done In 60 Seconds




I have been a loyal subscriber of Empire Magazine since its 15th Birthday Issue, 6 years ago. I remember the day clearly. It was a hot day and I wanted a magazine to read in the garden. My mother had all of the gossip and TV mags but I decided to buy one of the biggun's. To be absolutely honest, I spotted a bagged magazine that was either going to have Orlando Bloom or Brad Pitt on the cover, since Troy was out that month. And being the Orly-obsessed 14-year-old that I was, I bought in. I was disappointed to see that my luck wasn't with me that day and I got Brad :( But it didn't matter. I was hooked. I bought the mag every single month. And for the last 2 christmasses, my father got me a 12-month subscription that goes straight to my post-box before my local Spar. I love it!


Anyhoooooo. Every year they do the "Empire Awards". It has gained a lot more press in recent years because it is voted for by the readers. People like Jason Issacs (Hello Jason Issacs!! Nice joke for you Kermode fans out there!) have said that they think that the awards arer very important because *we* pay to see the damn movie and *we* should therefore get a say in who is good and who is bad!

An addition the the awards in recent years is the "Done in 60 Seconds" in which readers get to submit 60-second versions of well-known films made by themselves. Some of the ones made over the years have been absolutely exception. Including the 2008 winner of Titanic (See Below)


and check out the Toy Story one as well while you're at it:


This week, Empire Online released the 20 videos that are in the shortlist for the award (View them here). Some of them are exceptional including an animated Predator that has Arnie with a Northern Accent. My personal favourites are the Avatar (with Sigourney Weaver cardboard cutout and weird 3-d obscurity) and Donnie Darko (which is just the "Mad World" song with different lyrics to hilarious effect) entries.

So get yourself down there and take a look. Its also worth taking a look at the 2009 and 2008 entries for the pure ingeniousness of them. Awesomeness...