Saturday, March 06, 2010

Amy's Bookshelf #1 - The Bumper Book of Bunny Suicides





When I was younger, I was quite the bookworm. It all began when I was grounded for being quite naughty (well, it lasted a month!) and what I did was so severe that all I was allowed to do in my spare time was read in my bedroom. No TV, no computer time, no socializing with friends and no radio or music. I remember this being around the time that the fifth Harry Potter book came out, because I remember not being allowed to get it the week it was released. So in essence, my mother made a monster out of me. I once read the first 2 Harry Potter books in one day! All I did was read! Then I got a TV in my room and it all went downhill from there...

So I was sat in my room today looking at my bookshelf. It is crammed with books. Oscar Wilde, William Shakespeare, Douglas Adams and many more! And it struck me just how little I have read recently. I haven't read anything in the last year that I didn't HAVE to read for academic purposes. A lot of my books are untouched from receiving as gifts. Others I haven't touched since I read them. So I'm going to get back into the routine... reading again!

And first we start slow. Okay, I'm just being lazy here. The Bumper Book of Bunny Suicides is a pictures book... for adults! Each page (or, for some, several pages) are cartoons in which Rabbits end their lives in a variety of creative ways, drawn by Andy Riley. Revolving doors, a toaster, a cricket ball, a boomerang, a hand-grenade, the shining sun, a magnifying glass, smoking of several cigarettes, bowling balls and any combination of these are all featured as suicidal tools. There are also many cultural references such as a Terminator finding a rabbit wearing a t-shirt saying "Sarah Connor" and an hilarious Fatal Attraction one. It started off with The Book of Bunny Suicides: Little Fluffy Rabbits Who Just Don't Want To Live Any More which came out in 2003. Then it was followed by Return of the Bunny Suicides in 2004, which included Dr Who and Lord of the Rings references. And now you can get the lot in the Bumper Book!

I got the book one Christmas and my initial reaction was "what is this crap?". But as I flicked through the pages, it became my second favourite present of that year. It would have been first had I not got a Diamond Select Locutus of Borg Figure. It is one of those books that you can flick through now and again and it will still make you laugh. I highly recommend everyone gets it because it does great things to cheer you up. Although odds are that most of you have the poster...

And now, I leave you with my personal favourite:





Happy Saturday Folks!!