Thursday, March 04, 2010

Amy's thoughts on... Spaced - US Pilot


Oh the horror! The Horror! Oh God! I need memories erasing! Right Now! Help me!

So here's "Spaced For Dummies": Spaced (1999 - 2001) was a sitcom starring Simon Pegg, Jessica Stevenson (now Hynes), Nick Frost and lots of other talent. Almost everyone you see in this show, whether it's a main star or even just a guest star, it was early in their career and not a household name just yet. All the episodes were directed by Edgar Wright and  it is  famous for its rapid-fire editing, frequent pop-culture references and jokes, eclectic music, and occasional displays of surrealism. Even 11 years after the original broadcast, I still believe it to be "original" in terms of film-making. It was a technical triumph that Wright and Pegg continued to use in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

First, lets remind ourselves of how great Spaced is with a few vids!





And, my personal favourite:


Now this is what I'm talking about! If you haven't seen it yet, pop over to 4od!

I only watched a 4 minutes clip and I know I don't need to watch more. Now, they changed stuff, thats okay with remakes. But when they try to COPY some of the best delivered lines of the original series ("watercolours?") I am ready to rip my heart out. And ruining the "pain, fear" etc montage was the last straw for me! Edgar Wright posted a blog on his MySpace back in the day calling it "McSpaced", a reference to the exec-producer McG. Now, McG, listen to me mate! Terminatar: Salvation and Supernatural has redeemed you ever so slightly. But please, FUCK OFF!!

Usually at this point I say, enjoy! But I can't. It's too painful! Watch at your own risk!


Would you like the bleach when I'm done with it?