Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Amy's Thoughts On...(500) Days Of Summer


I have been wanting to watch this film for a while. It has been recommended to me be far too many people and have a rather unhealthy...erm... phase (??) with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's rather amazing filmography. Then yesterday, with the flat to myself now that people are moving out I decided to give it a go!



So Tom (Gordon-Levitt) falls for Summer (Zooey Zeschanel) and the film looks at their relationship over 500 days in a non-linear narrative. The problem though, is that she doesn't want anything serious but he is absolutely crazy for her.

What I got I wasn't expecting. I already knew that this was a romantic comedy that is actually worth something and there hasn't been many of those in the last few years! So, naturally, despite the presence of one of Hollywood's most promising actors, my expectations were not that high.

Until this scene.



It was this scene that won me over. It is one of the best "Morning After" scenes that I have seen. From there on in, it is a wonderful roller-coaster of emotions. Here we are telling Summer to get her act together, that Tom is for her and he loves her. But she doesn't reciprocate (But I will gladly!). In terms of acting, I got to give props to Gordon-Levitt (who else?). His career has been going on almost as long as I have been alive and for the last 10 years he has established himself as an actor that is destined for great things in everything from Television (3rd Rock From the Sun), indies (Brick, Mysterious Skin and of course this fine film) and even in blockbusters (recently in Inception, for which he was just AWESOME!). I also have to mention Chloe Moretz as Tom's sister in this. I don't think I have ever seen her give a bad performance. It looks like she is going to be the best thing in Let Me In and we all remember just how awesome Kick-Ass was!

So... er... yeah! Go see it! It's not for everyone. Some might find it a bit slow and boring. But to me, it is a style of film-making that really captures love. It ends in the most unconventional way. But, as the narrator points out earlier on: "This is not a love story...it is a story about love". But it will leave a big grin on your face

Amezzeray Out....