Saturday, November 27, 2010

Deathly Hallows Part 1: Review



To me, Harry Potter is more than "just another big movie". It is something I have grown up with. The books and the films are fantastic escapism for all audiences. And it is sad to see the beginning of the end of the film franchise. But you know what the end also means? THEY CAN'T FUCK IT UP!

And it is far from that. As a film on it's own it is well acted (yes even the kids), well written and executed. It is a fun day out for the family (although don't take that 12A rating too lightly. Definitely not for younger kids!). That may seem like a stupid thing to say since, at the end of the day, IT IS A MOVIE! But there are two audiences out there: those who have read the book and those who haven't.

So, as a fan of the book I have to say I am very pleased with the result. As I was saying earlier, there are certain bits that you don't want to see done badly. And all of those, in my view anyway, were the best bits in the film. Particularly Dobby. He was rather annoying in Chamber of Secrets but I found him adorable and funny in DH. Despite being a CG character, he stole every single scene he was in ("Dobby is a free Elf!").

A lot of the reviews I have read have complained about the overly long camping scenes. I'm going to single myself out as a minority here because I thought they were wonderful scenes testing the relationship between the characters. A fantastic study of what will send them over the edge. But this is the film student in me. Can't help it! :P

My only complaint is the lack of Dursleys. There is a brilliant farewell scene in the book where Dudley thanks Harry for saving his life and it is one of my favourite moments. I would have liked to have seen that closure in the film. It would only have been about a minute long and for a film that is already a bum-numbing 2+ hours it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Needless to say that July needs to get here quicker. Oh well, at least we only have to wait 8 months instead of 18...