Thursday, December 09, 2010

The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader 3D - Review

First of all I have to admit something rather shocking, I have never read a Narnia book.  So you can see my dilemma. I do not know whether it is as good as the book, or if there were even changes made. But I'll do the best I can purely as a cinema-goer.

I am a huge fan of the Narnia films. They're not masterpieces but they are extremely entertaining. I loved the first film because of it's magic. I always feel like a kid when I watch it. And Prince Caspian I just love! But I'm not quite sure why...



Basically, Lucy and Edmund return to Narnia with their rather irritating cousin Eustace along for the ride. They get picked up by King Caspian (*giggles* he is very fine!) on the Dawn Treader, the finest (and only) ship in Narnia on a mission to find 7 Lords and, as per usual, save Narnia from a terrible fate!

First of all, I have to admit that for a franchise that was dumped, it has redeemed itself very well. It was bizarre to not see the Disney logo at the beginning. Michael Apted does a fantastic job. The film looks fantastic! The special effects peeps went all out. In fact, on a purely technical level (cameras etc), the film is perfect. Will Poulter is a welcome addition to the cast and Reepicheep, the talking mouse (voiced wonderfully by a certain Mr Pegg) steals the show which, let's be honest, if a CGI character can steal everyone's thunder like Dobby then you're in a bit of trouble.

So here's my problem with the film: I don't know why I felt slightly disappointed. I mean, it is not a bad film by any means. I enjoyed it. But it is my least favourite of all the films so far. I'm trying to avoid use of the term "it's the worse of the franchise" because that implies it is bad. But it really is not. There are many problems with the film like some of the acting (Lucy was better in the 1st one), some of the battle scenes are not as thrilling as previous instalments and the score is good but it didn't make me feel all triumphant like in the previous ones but no disrespect to David Arnold though. And my last criticism is the 3D. Why? I am all for 3D but not when it has been converted from 2D. And because of this, there was nothing jumping out at me. I forgot I was watching a 3D film which is pointless really because the whole point of it is to add to the experience.

However, there is 1 thing that this film does that the previous films failed on: the scale. In the first film, it was pretty obvious that they were trying to make Narnia the new Middle Earth. But failed. This film achieves that wonderfully.

As I reread this post, I think I have realised just what my problem is. And it's so silly you'll be rolling your eyes at me. There is no Disney. I know, it's just a studio and all they do is put money into it and distribute but the lack of Disney logo made a difference. There is something magical about seeing that particular logo at the beginning of their films...



So, to top it off, it is not a bad film. But I didn't feel the magic and it is fairly unremarkable. However, there is still enough steam in the franchise to keep it going. That's if the box office numbers are high...

Amezzeray Out...