Friday, March 04, 2011

Sci-Fi Society 2011 - Black Swan



I have been extremely neglectful of this particular topic. I have not blogged about the films I have seen at my weekly Sci-Fi group for weeks! But that will change now

And to start things off, I see what you're thinking! How does Black Swan qualify as sci-fi? Well, technically we are also into horror and fantasy. So I think it just about qualifies! And second time round, it is much more rewarding!


So for those who have been living under a rock for the past few months, Nina (Natalie Portman at her absolute finest!) is a sheltered dancer who is given the coveted Swan Queen role in a production of Swan Lake. As she struggles with the dual role of the Swan Queen/Black Swan, she explores her darker side and with that, her over-protective mother and her worries of fellow dancer Lily (Mila Kunis) she is slowly pushing herself to breaking point.


I love a good psychological thriller. And what I love about Black Swan is that it is never fully explained to you i.e what is and isn't real? Maybe the whole film is a figment of her fragile mind. Natalie Portman is one of those actresses who you knew would always win an Academy Award at some point in her career (I'm still tipping Joseph Gordon Levitt to win one at some point!). Ever since Leon she has captured audiences in several meaningful performances. And to be honest, even before any trailers came out for the film, we all subconsciously knew she would win.

In fact, all the actors deserve some recognition. Vincent Cassell, the horny teacher pushing Nina to truly discover her dark side (ironically better than that other dark side that was explored that time she was in those space movies...Sith Swan!!); Barbara Hershey, the over-protective mother who is pushing Nina to have the dancing career she had to give up; Winona Ryder as the suicidal ex-prima who appears to Nina; and Mila Kunis as the ambitious dancer who Nina is convinced is after her (and I have to admit it took me forever to remember where I heard her voice before...).

It is by no means a perfect film. But it most definitely is the masterpiece that we have all been waiting for Darren Aronofsky to make and the flawless performance we have been waiting for from Miss Portman.