Monday, April 23, 2012

Film Review: The Muppets


Hey peeps! Long time no... read? Any how, I had a film experience the other day that really got to me on an emotional level.

I'm at Sci-fi Society. And... The Muppets wins the vote. And I was a bit pissed off because I really wanted to watch The Power Rangers Movie. Yeah... it's a childhood thing!



I knew it got good reviews but I assumed I would not like it because it is a children's film. And boy was I wrong!

The plot centres on Walter, The Muppet's #1 fan. He finally fulfills a live-long dream of visiting the Muppets Studios with his brother Gary (Jason Segal) and Gary's girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams). He is shocked to find it in a state of decline. While there, he overhears oil magnate Tex Richman talk of his plans to demolish the studios to drill for oil.

This was Walter's reaction:


So he gathers the Muppets to raise the money needed to rebuy the studios back.

I have always had this thing where if I go into a movie I really do not want to see, I get really grumpy. But 90% of the time I am won over, usually at about the hour mark. However, The Muppets had me in the first scene, when Walter is introduced.

I am of the generation that never really watched The Muppets, except for the movies, which I never really watched. So for the film to grab me from the very start... I was just startled by it to the point that now, after rewatching it, have no problem say it is one of my favourite movies.

For me, Walter made the film. He is adorable, charming and the relationship between him and Gary is nothing short of cute! (hint: if any of my parents happen to come across this review, I would love a stuffed Walter for my bed :P) I was in danger of breaking into tears at any point during the last half hour... and I finally did, when Walter had his moment in the spotlight. He is the heart and soul of the film, and I would happily see a sequel as long as he was in it.

The soundtrack is also very catchy. Of course this film won an Oscar for the song "Man or Muppet" (In which Sheldon pops up... any geeks dream!). The film perfectly blends nostalgia and fresh qualities to bring back original viewers as well as recruiting new fans.


Overall, this was a cracking film that I highly recommend. It is fantastic family viewing and I do hope that The Muppets gives you the same joy it gave me.